Add Some Eye Candy
Adding an option to turn on extra eye candy would be nice;
It could include;
* Sun/Moon in the background.
* Day/Night Cycle (dimming screen, brightening, moving sun+moon, changing gradients) for the Above.
* See Through Water
* Dock-Style weapons panel instead of standard grid
* More and Prettier particles on explosions
* Terrain Debris (blow up some land, little chunks plop into the water)
* Worm Smears (hitting a worm into a wall hard enough will leave a little pink smudge behind on the wall)
* Terrain Singes (little black marks left on terrain from petrol bombs, etc)
* Burstable Clouds (knocking a worm into a cloud will make the cloud jiggle as he goes through it, with little puffs coming off of it)
* Lingering Smoke (little wisps of smoke hang around)
* Great Big Mushroom Cloud in the background after nuke strike
* Holy Hand Grenade emits rays of light before exploding.
I am changing my stance on this idea… when we switch to OpenGL/true color, adding some simple (optional) additional effects using OpenGL could be possible.
I prefer the standard grid though. And when effects are done they need to be cartoon like to fit into Armageddon.
-falling meteors in the background when using armageddon
-dust when worms fall from great height like cartoons
Here are some more:
-when old lady explodes dentures, glasses and a cane appear and fall into the water
-when pigeon explodes a roasted pigeon appears and falls in the water + some feathers appear and fanish
-when a sheep/super sheep/ explodes little pieces of wool appear and fanish + lamb chops appear and fall in the water
-when crazy cows explode it releases several beef which fall into the water
-when moles explode some hairs appear and fanish
I like these ideas. It would be great if the community could add this.
great suggestion, but only rain would be boring and might be frustrating :P. what about snow, sun, rain and all that stuff generated to the different terrains.
means it snows on the snow terrain, it's sunny on the beach terrain etc. this'd be a real improvement to the weird old background. i prefer to keep that background little and without big colours this would irritade!
Some of this would be really neat, but most of it I think would be somewhere between incidental and annoying. In any case, I wouldn't prioritise it over gameplay changes.
Will this still look good on W:A's limited palette?
@ Malevol3nt: we can't add day/night cycles, have a sun or moon, have little blobs of terrian splashing into the water, smears, singes, lingering smoke, rays of light or hardly anything by just editing the gfx.dir file.
I'd be willing to draw new elements when needed for the beta patches.
To author of post: You can do all of that yourself really. Just open the gfx.dir with sprite editor, export the img's and sprites and edit them. I've written a basic guide of it here: http://forum.team17.com/showpost.php?p=674798&postcount=110
I've allready done some edits on weapons, added new ones, aswell as replaced some GUI graphics. Make sure gfx.dir isnt bigger than 4Kbytes tho!